Thursday, August 7, 2008

Ribs My Way




I am definitely no grill master, but this summer I have been working on it. I have only made ribs twice, but I think I've got the hang of them now. I like to buy my ribs at Costco or Sams Club. They come in a vacuum sealed pack and usually have 3 racks in them. All of the ribs I have purchased have not had a lot of fat on them, which is great.

After I buy the ribs I buy the biggest foil pan that I can find. Although I like doing the dishes, this is not one I want to clean, so the pans are great because you just throw them away. I get the foil pans from the grocery store, they are usually located on the baking isle. Make sure you get one that comes with a lid.

So you have your ribs and your pan. Now you need seasoning and BBQ sauce. While I was getting the ribs at Sams Club, I came across Weber Grill Rub. This seasoning is amazing! It is tangy, spicy and sweet all at the same time. You can use it on ribs, steak, chicken or whatever your little heart wants. I also grabbed some BBQ sauce at Sams Club. For a great BBQ Sauce we love Chris N Pits, but use your favorite.

Now you are home with your ribs, pan, BBQ sauce and seasoning. Take your ribs, one at a time and put them in the foil pan (you may need to cut you racks to fit them in the pan). Cover the rib with BBQ sauce and then sprinkle a generous layer of seasoning on top. Repeat until all racks are done and then put the lid on. Let sit at least 4 hours, but for moister ribs let them sit overnight.

When ready to cook, set your grill to low heat and let heat up for 10-15 minutes. I cover the ribs again with a good coating of seasoning just before I put them on the grill. Put the ribs on the grill, BONE SIDE DOWN, very important!!! Let the ribs cook for 1-2 hours or until done. As the ribs are cooking, rotate them around the grill to get even cooking. Cooking time depends on how big your grill is. My grill is larger so they take about 1 1/2 hours. I used my friends grill the last time I made them and they only took 1 hour because his grill was smaller. So make sure you keep checking the ribs and rotating them.

When they are done, serve with the same BBQ sauce you used to coat them with, corn, salad, your favorite fruit and enjoy!

Oh, and I didn't get a photo of the finished ribs because we ate them too fast, sorry!

No comments: