Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Funeral Potatoes-or whatever you call them!

These potatoes are a Mormon staple! They seem to accompany every occasion you can think of like baby blessings, family reunions, church parties, luncheons, etc. And there are many names for them like Church Potatoes, Funeral Potatoes, Mormon Potatoes and Christmas Potatoes. Whatever you call them,I am in love with them and have always wanted to make them. So when I was assigned to make them for my family reunion I got really excited! I Googled them and finally found the perfect recipe on KSL.com (which is owned by the Mormon church, so you're know they authentic). My mouth is salivating just thinking about these potatoes!

6 cups of diced potatoes (use 6-8 peeled, diced and cooked or 2 pounds of frozen Southern Style Hashbrowns, unthawed)
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed cream of chicken soup
1/2 soup can milk
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup grated onion (or use 1 tablespoon dried onion)
Salt and Pepper to taste
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup Corn Flake crumbs

Place the potatoes in a 9X13 pan. Combine soup, milk, sour cream, cheese, onion, salt and pepper. If a saucier dish is required add 2-3 tablespoons additional milk. Mix well. Spread sauce over potatoes. Melt butter and combine with corn flake crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over potatoes. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30-45 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Side Note: I did not think that the 3/4 cup Corn Flake crumbs were enough, so I doubled the Corn Flake crumbs and the butter to fully cover the potatoes.

No comments: