Monday, May 16, 2011

Strawberry Pie

I am in love with Strawberries and am so glad that Strawberry season is here! My brother has been begging me to get him a strawberry pie from Marie Calendars, but they are expensive. So I combined a couple of recipes and made my own! This recipe makes 3 pies, so I gave 1 to my neighbors and served the rest at my dad's birthday party! Everyone loved them and I have already been asked to make more!

Strawberry Pies
3 baked pie crusts (I did purchase mine frozen and then cooked them)
Strawberries (I purchased 2 big containers from Costco and used them all)

Cream Filling:
1 8 oz. block of cream cheese
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2-3 cups Cool Whip unthawed
2 cups of vanilla instant pudding (which is 1 regular sized box)

Beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Gently fold in the Cool Whip and pudding. Divide into the 3 baked pie shells.

Strawberry Glaze:
1 cup water
2/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
2 Tablespoons Strawberry Jello Powder
A pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and cook over medium low heat until boiling. Cool.

While the glaze cools, pile each pie shell with sliced strawberries. You can slice them anyway you want, but I like them sliced in half and piled very, very high! Drizzle with glaze and serve and eat that day!

** You can make the glaze ahead of time and keep in a Mason Jar until you need it. It will setup though, so just reheat for 10 second intervals in the microwave until runny.



2 comments:

debbie said...

this pie looks so yummy. Do you think it would taste good with a graham cracker crust instead? I'm not a big fan of regular pie crusts.

Amber said...

It would work great Debbie!