Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Orange Rolls and A Secret

I have a secret...I am afraid to eat oranges! There was an incident when I was about 12 years old where an orange was thrown up on me and I haven't had one since! It's sad, I know but I just have that image and smell stuck in my head and I can't eat them. I saw these orange rolls on THIS blog and figured since just the peel was in them I could eat them and I am so glad that I made them! I made them for desert even though they seem more of a breakfasty item! They were warm, orangey, gooey and wonderful!



EASY BUTTERFLAKE ORANGE ROLLS

12 Rhodes Texas Rolls, thawed but still cold
zest from 1 large orange
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon butter, melted
2-3 tablespoons fresh orange juice

Directions:

Cut each Texas roll into 5 equal pieces. Flatten each piece slightly. In a small bowl, combine orange zest and sugar. Dip both sides of each roll piece into butter and then orange sugar mixture. Stack five pieces together and place, on their sides, in a well sprayed muffin cup. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size. Remove wrap and bake at 350°F 15-20 minutes. Remove from pan immediately and place on cooling rack. Combine icing ingredients and mix well. Brush over rolls while still warm.

*** I made 14 rolls and needed to double the butter and cinnamon sugar ingredients!

No comments: