Saturday, October 18, 2008

Mae's Best Banana Bread


My middle name is Mae which came from my great grandmother Mae Bailey. Mae contributed to her church cookbook probably before I was even born and my mother has a copy of this book. As a little girl I would often look through this cookbook and look for the recipes made by her. One of my favorites is her banana bread. This is the easiest and best bread ever and I love it! My mother would add a mixture of brown sugar, flour and some other things on top of the bread. When I make it now, I just sprinkle some brown sugar on the top and it creates a crunchy and delicious topping for the bread!

Makes 1 Loaf

1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 stick butter/margarine
3 mashed bananas
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 3/4 cups flour

Mix in order given. Place in loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.Then bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until bread is done.

No comments: