Sunday, April 27, 2008

Nilla Apple Crisp


Last Sunday my family had dinner and of course I made the dessert. I wanted to make something wonderful. I was thinking apple crisp and came across this recipe that was an apple crisp topped with Nilla Wafer cookies. So I decided to check it out. I made the crumb topping and had crushed the Nilla Wafers to mix with the topping. Well I put the topping on, put it in the oven, started cleaning up and noticed that I didn't add the Nilla Wafers, so I just threw them on top. The topping was wonderful and the apples were juicy and bubbly. I chose to not use Cool whip and served it with cold vanilla ice cream, how American can you get?


8 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 large/2 lb.)
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
2 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
1/3 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
1/4 cup cold margarine
25 Reduced Fat Nilla Wafers, crushed (about 1 cup crumbs)
1-1/2 cups thawed Cool Whipped Topping


Preheat oven to 350°F. Toss apples with 1/4 cup of the brown sugar and 1 tsp. of the cinnamon. Spoon into 8- or 9-inch square baking dish. Combine oats, the remaining 1/4 cup brown sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon in medium bowl. Cut in margarine with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add wafer crumbs; mix well. Spread crumb mixture evenly over apples. Bake 30 to 35 min. or until apples are tender. Serve warm or cooled. Top with whipped topping.

No comments: